JOB DESCRIPTION & TERMS OF REFERENCE
WORKING DAYS: 5 days a week
WORK STATION: Nanyuki preferred but not essential
SALARY INDICATION: KSh175,000 – KSh225,000/- pcm (relevant to experience)
CONTRACT PERIOD: One year initial contract, renewable (three months probation)
REPORTING: COO & Communications Director
Space for Giants is an international conservation charity that protects Africa’s elephants and their habitats while demonstrating the ecological and economic value both can bring. It uses science and best-practice to deliver conservation investment initiatives that attract new funding to under-resourced protected areas. It works with national authorities to strengthen legal action to fight wildlife crime and protect animals in the wild. It uses technology it pioneered to reduce human-elephant conflict, and works with a wide range of individuals including academics, journalists, celebrities, philanthropists, and sportspeople, to bring new supporters to its cause. It is headquartered in Kenya, works in at least eight countries in Africa, and is registered as a charity in the UK and a non-profit in the US.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for communications around fundraising and engagement, targeting individual giving, corporate partnerships and high value donors (current and prospective) in conjunction with the COO and Fundraising team.
- Develop appropriate messaging and communications approach around corporate partner and sponsorship campaigns to enhance both long and short term giving (e.g. Chantecaille, ICAP, AwokeNAware, Walk for Giants) *
- Develop and implement March for Giants (www.marchforgiants.org) as a campaign platform to expand Space for Giants’ grassroots general donor base and establish a platform to encourage repeat donations
- Maximise communication budget efficiency and reach, for example through Google Grants and other multiplier opportunities
- Create and maintain printed and soft/shareable fundraising packs and resources for different income streams, as well as managing the design and production process of these assets, using existing templates and adhering to brand guidelines
- Commission, oversee and manage the use of visual and digital communications assets to highlight Space for Giants work (video, photography)
- Manage content development and design of all direct donor communication including newsletters, monthly updates and annual reports
- Design and implement strategies to engage public figures, as formal Ambassadors of Space for Giants – setting communications / marketing expectations, managing content and frequency of publicity
- Develop and implement communications activities within fundraising events, including engaging, scripting and rehearsing talent/ambassadors; developing and implementing appropriate materials
- Maintain social media accounts
- Develop and deliver strategies to increase followers and engagement across all social media platforms integrated with media relations and fundraising communications strategies
- Ensure constant group-wide adherence to brand guidelines, and update where required
- Assist with management and admin of Giants Club African Conservation Journalism Fellowship
The successful applicant will be a go-getting, self-motivated individual with significant proven and practical experience in understanding and working in the dynamic sphere of an internationally-focused organisation and will have:
- Experience in developing and successfully delivering communications strategies and ideally have experience of integrating them with fundraising strategies.
- Experience in developing and successfully delivering fundraising campaigns and the relevant messaging, ensuring they are targeted accurately.
- Knowledge of fundraising payment platforms and the methodology of integrating payment platforms into campaigns.
- Strong capabilities in developing high quality communications materials, including digital content and print publications, managing the entire production process.
- A good understanding of digital communications and the latest trends in social media.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- A passion for conservation.
- The ability to work independently under their own initiative.
- Excellent office and interpersonal with a high level of computer literacy.
- The successful candidate will need to be fluent in English. Knowledge of French would be a bonus, but is not essential.
- Applications are invited from Kenyan, East African Community, and international candidates. All applicants must have the right to live and work in Kenya.
- Due to the scope of development of this role candidates may have between 5-10yrs prior experience in communication.
TERMS OF CONTRACT
The position will be for an initial one year period, renewable, starting 1 December 2019 (or before)
This position may also:
- Require travel domestically and/or internationally.
- Require occasional evening and weekend hours
Space for Giants asks its employees to strictly adhere to the following code of conduct:
- To treat all your colleagues with respect and kindness at all times
- To work to the very best of your ability at all times
- To be honest with yourself and your colleagues, and to promote integrity within Space for Giants
- To be professional
- To be punctual and dress appropriately
- To be cool, calm and collected in the face of adversity
- To know your place within the organisation and to respect the roles of others
- To promote team spirit, motivation and happiness
- To do your bit to save costs and minimise waste
- At all times to be an ambassador for Space for Giants, its mission, its work, its staff and its board.
- At all times to champion conservation of the natural environment.
- The deadline for applications is midnight East Africa Time 6 October 2019
- Applications (cover letter and CV) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include the name and contact of at least 3 referees.
- Please include your salary expectations